Painting Watercolors on canvas
January 23, 2010
Watercolors on primed canvas or gessoed surfaces
- I use Golden Absorbent Ground
- Thin down the absorbent ground with 10 to 25% water.
- Apply several thin layers with a brush, allowing each layer to dry thoroughly before applying the next coat.
(Absorbent ground can be applied without thinning but if you wish greater absorbency, several thin layers are best)
- Let dry completely before starting your painting.
To protect your painting once completed it must be finished with an isolating or sealing coat, unless you plan to mount your painting under glass:
- I use Krylon UV Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating Spray
- Spray on at least 2 coats, allowing drying time between each spray
- Make sure your first spray is very light so as not to disturb the paint